Friday 16 November 2012

Asian Chicken and Noodles

Doesn't sound very interesting I know, but I wasn't sure what else to call it. Bit of a shame its got a slightly dull name really as I think I might have outdone myself on this one. Not just for the taste but because it is so beautifully simple and hands off. There is about 15 minutes of hands on work in this recipe, and that includes the veg and noodles.



I also had a lovely excuse to use this beautiful smoked elephant garlic I picked up at my old Turkish shop today. 


Have I ever told you about the Turkish shop? I’m not sure. Well, it’s one of the few things I really miss about living on Lewes road. Far more preferable than shopping at the supermarket and it has such a great range of stock. It’s also open really late which was just fantastic for my midnight cooking urges! Oh well, I really can’t complain with the sea on my doorstep. Anyway, I digress. Although I have used smoked garlic in this you can happily substitute it for just your run of the mill un-smoked normal sized garlic (and you won’t then make your whole house and hands smell of bonfire!)

I have said this before about Asian cooking and I’ll say it again. Although the list of ingredients may seem long, and for a new explorer into Asian cuisine rather expensive, it is well worth the investment. Not only will things like a bottle of shaosing rice wine last you blooming ages, these are also the ingredients that create a truly authentic taste.

Ingredients


Sauce


3 tablespoons dark soy sauce
3 large dollops of honey
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 star anise
1 tablespoon Shaosing rice wine
1 tablespoon sesame oil
½ 5cm stick cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
Pinch white pepper



1 white onion
A handful of mushrooms (1-2 per person)
Chicken thighs/drumsticks/pieces of bone-in chicken with skin on

Veg


1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon flavourless oil
Bunch asparagus
Pak choi
1 clove smoked elephant garlic

Noodles


1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon flavourless oil
1 packet noodles*
Soy sauce
White pepper

*I used dried but you could use straight to wok, however I find them somewhat lacking. The fresh ones you get in the supermarket fridges however are fantastic, if a bit pricey!

Preheat the oven to 180

Slice the onion and place in an oven-proof dish big enough for your chicken pieces but not much bigger (I use, as per usual, my trusty cast iron casserole, but a small/deep roasting dish or a pyrex would be fine.) Place the chicken on top (skin side up) and pour/sprinkle over all the marinade ingredients.



Put in the oven.

About 45 minutes later (depends on the size of your chicken pieces and the speed of your oven, but about 15 minutes before they are ready). Chop the mushrooms in half and throw in with the chicken.



Put the kettle on.

When the kettle has boiled, pour over the noodles (in a pan) and heat.

Chop the asparagus, separate the leaves of the pak choi (or chop if using mature leaves) and roughly chop the garlic. Put 1 tablespoon sesame oil and 1 tablespoon flavourless oil in a hot wok, after a minute or so add the garlic, moving constantly, then the asparagus. 



Stir fry (i.e. continuously move) for a few minutes before adding the pak choi and checking on the noodles. Once the pak choi ends have wilted, continue to cook for a minute or two before removing the veg from the wok.



Drain the noodles and heat your final 2 tablespoons of oils (in the same wok as before) before stir frying the noodles for a few minutes, adding a splash of two of soy sauce and white pepper.



Take the chicken out the oven and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment